Monday, February 19, 2018

Not Your Average Marvel Movie: My Reaction to Black Panther

Let it be know that on a hot, sunny afternoon in Houston, TX, I took a trip to Wakanda and didn't want to leave. Yes, I got to see Black Panther in theaters, and I will go see it again. Why? Let me jump into it.

First and foremost, BP is packed with a lot. Various themes and nuances that kept audiences captivated. What gripped me the most was the family dynamic. There's quite a few things going on between parents, siblings and cousins, much more than I've ever seen in a superhero movie. And all for the love of country.

Secondly, this may be the first time ever that a black people group is dwelling ahead of the rest of the world instead of behind. We may be seeing this in 2018, but the country of Wakanda was designed decades ago, which is refreshing to know. Preconceived notions are blasted away, and present dreams of the diaspora today are fully realized.

Third, current colloquialisms are a thing of the past to Wakandans, which gave us moments of comic relief when so much imagery and symbolism was displayed within a two-hour period.

Lastly, there is a call to action from within. Unlike many African countries today, the leader of Wakanda now has a choice of what to do with their most prized resource: vibrainium. Instead of being plundered by colonizers, they strategized and concealed themselves before being found out. It makes me wonder if other nations had a chance, would they have done the same.

Those are the main themes I picked up from the BP. I do plan on seeing it again so I can further unpack and share with the world. If you didn't get a chance to see it this past weekend, GO! You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment