Monday, December 19, 2016

The Timeliness of a Blessing

One thing I've learned in my time as a barista is that the world is watching, so govern yourself accordingly. Sometimes, I forget this little tidbit because a random customer's rudeness has irked me at astronomical levels. For the most part, though, I am as sweet as they come, and sometimes I go out of my way to make their trip to Starbucks a little easier. Today I got an unexpected surprise blessing that made me feel wise.

If you're not familiar with Mobile Order & Pay, you can basically order your drink on the app, and ideally it'll be ready by the time you get to the store. It's much easier to achieve by midday. This particular young lady was not the most courteous. I acknowledged her while I was making another drink, but I observed as she just gathered her drink and headed outside without a thank you. The lack of a thank you irked me a little, but I let it go. 

A couple of minutes later, another Mobile Order came in with her name on it. She was in the car, which I could see from outside our large windows, so in true barista fashion, I went the extra mile. I made the drink and took in out to her, since it's an easy drink, and I didn't want her wondering. It's amazing when you decide to be kind to someone who may not been the kindest to you.

When I took the drink out to the young lady, I was pleasantly surprised to see that her mom was a regular, and not only that, but a regular I like to greet when she arrives. Without thinking that I knew where the drink was going to, she was so touched that I even bared the cold to brink it to them. The mom was so touched that she gave me special tip. I was humbled and I thanked her.

What I she didn't know was that I had wanted to put a little gas in my mom's car, and I had left my money at home. Though it wasn't a super dire need, I was able to carry out my plan for the day, and that is a blessing. It's a beautiful thing when you do something nice for someone, even something beyond the norm, and they feel compelled to bless you in return. My heart is happy to know that my simple act spoke volumes. 

Even in 2016, acts of kindness are very powerful.

1 comment: